Roman Catholic church of St. Juraja (Dunajská Streda)

The oldest historic and church site in the town. According to records from the early Arpád Dynasty period, a wooden church once stood at the site of today's Roman Catholic Church. The stone foundations of the church, the main nave, the shrine and the tower were built in 1329 in Gothic style. In 1518 the church was reconstructed in late Gothic style into a double-chamber church with an adjacent section.
The church underwent extensive construction modifications during 1742-1743 in Baroque style. The church walls were elevated, and tower construction was done. The Baroque architectural style has been preserved to the present day in the church building. The main altar is in Baroque style, dates from the 18th century and is adorned by a painting of the Ascension of the Virgin Mary, above which there is an equestrian sculpture of the church’s patron saint. The side altars date from the late Baroque period and are adorned with a painting of King St. Stephen and the Pieta.  

Beneath the ground on which the church stands there is a grave with the remains of members of the Pókateleki Kondé family, which was one of the most important families in the town.

How can we get to the church?

By bicycle

To the Small Danube water mills

Route: Dunajská Streda > Malé Dvorník > Dunajský Klátov > Jahodná > Tomášikovo > Trstice > Topoľníky > Dunajská Streda

Demands: A non-demanding route, mostly asphalt with short dirt and field sections, suitable for regular and trekking bicycles

Length: 57 km

Attractions on the route: Dunajská Streda, Small Danube water mills - Dunajský Klátov, Jahodná, Tomášikovo


„Content of this portal does not constitute an official opinion of the European Union.“